Thursday 21 February 2013

Anna Karenina

I love movies, the stories the characters and the different worlds that can be created with movie magic. Above that there are some films that are not just good or great - those movies are just beautifull. I think that the most striking film ever made is Single man by Tom Ford. It's not that many movies haven't got amazing costumes or cinematpgraphy or set or all that - but there is just something extra in those rare few gems.

And this year has brought Joe Wrights take on Anna Karenina - long awaited and not disapointing! Everything works but since this is sort of a fashing blog-thingy lets talk about the costumes and more over: hats. I loved the way they have mixed styles and periods - it's not quite 18th centyry and not modern, not quite Russian but not quite French. There are some simply stunning elements and I was very inspired by what I saw.

I especially loved Princess Betsy Tverskoys, played by Ruth Wilson, style. So different - all the colors and cuts. I especially loved the sailor style hat. I haven't found a picture of it, but look at these:


It's such a shame we dont' use hats any longer as a norm - and in Finland hardly even in weddings. But I at least will do my best to get this trend back. And if anyone happens to know: how is that veil made and attced to the hat? This is a mystery to me...

So hail Jacqueline Durran and Joe Wrigt for their vision and I do apologise for shamelesly varying, which is a nice way to say copying, some of the creations.

Back to my sketch book.
xoxo, Anu

No comments:

Post a Comment